ABOUT THE COURSE
This training course is essential for anyone wishing to lead Forest School programmes in their own setting. It covers learning theory and practical skills, plus gives participants the confidence and knowledge needed to establish and deliver their own Forest School programmes.
Our Forest School Leader Training is run by experienced leader and trainer, Adrian Goodhand, and accredited by the awarding body QNUK. The course covers a combination of practical skills (tool use, fire lighting, campfire cooking, knot tying, identifying and using natural materials etc.) and theoretical skills (holistic development, self esteem theory, learning theory, learning through play etc.). The course also covers how to set up a Forest School programme, risk management and sustainable use of woodlands.
Our Forest School Leader (Level 3) training course is run over a number of months to help participants take on board the course learning, spread the coursework assignment load and reflect on their training. Level 3 trainees receive 10 days of training, split into modules. In addition to the training days, participants will be required to set up their own 6 week pilot Forest School programme and submit a coursework portfolio within 12 months of starting the training. The course is described as 24 days worth of work – 10 days attending the training days and the rest is self directed learning time.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT OUR FOREST SCHOOL TRAINING?
- We deliver our training in a ‘forest school way’ – over time, in an achieveable format and with support.
- We keep the group size small, with a maximum of 12 students per course.
- As well as the 10 training days for Level 3 students, we offer an extra portfolio support day.
- Our tutor will also support students via phone, email or internet video calls to provide help with particular assignments and skills.
- Our tutor will visit your Forest School programme to observe you in practice and offer tailored feedback and support.
- We offer discounted combined Forest School and Paediatric First Aid Training for students doing their Forest School Training at our centre.
LEVEL 3 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Level 3 Forest School Leader candidates must:
- be aged 21 years or over;
- be a qualified teacher, play-worker, youth-worker or support worker (to level 2 or equivalent) OR compile a portfolio of at least 2 years experience of working with their chosen client group in a leadership capacity;
- have access to a group with whom they will run an introductory 6-week Forest School Programme.
Before delivering their 6-week pilot Forest School programme, candidates must also:
- hold a current enhanced DBS
- hold a current and valid First Aid certificate (minimum 2-day Outdoor First Aid or 2-day Paediatric First Aid). We offer a combined Forest School and Paediatric First Aid course as an optional add-on to the Forest School Training.